Portfolio and Essay Requirements
In addition to applying to The University of Kansas, the Department of Visual Art requires a 10-12 image portfolio and a response to an essay question of your choice.
- 10 - 20 images
- The images should be no more than 5MB each
- Must be submitted through Slideroom
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PORTFOLIO
- If possible, include work in a variety of mediums.
- Sketches or works in progress are okay to include.
- The portfolio does not need to specifically address the major in which you are most interested (i.e. If you hope to concentrate on printmaking, but do not have any prints in your portfolio, that's okay.)
- Images of 3D artwork may be shown from different views.
Your slideroom portfolio will include answering the following questions. Each question is set to a 1500 character limit, which is about 250 words.
1. What has been your past experience(s) in the areas of Visual Art?
2. Describe your professional aspirations and career goals in the areas of Visual Art?
3. What do you expect from your educational experience?
4. Where else have you applied?
DEADLINE FOR PORTFOLIO & ESSAY SUBMISSION
- The Department of Visual Art evaluates undergraduate portfolios as they are submitted.
- Portfolios and essay questions turned in after February 1* will not be eligible for an incoming departmental scholarship for freshman and transfer students.
*Please note that the deadline has been extended to March 1, 2020 for August, 2020 incoming freshmen and transfer students.
PORTFOLIO & ESSAY SUBMISSION
- Portfolios and essays must be submitted through Slideroom.
- You will need to create an account.
- There is a $10 submission fee paid directly to Slideroom.
*If you need a few waiver for your portfolio and essay question submission, please email email@example.com.
FEBRUARY 1st (extended to March 1, 2020 for August 2020 incoming freshmen and transfer students)
Completed portfolios must be received by February 1st to be considered for the annual Department of Visual Art incoming freshman scholarship competition. We will continue to accept portfolios and essay questions for admission to the Department of Visual Art at any time.
MARCH (end of the month)
Notification of Department of Visual Art scholarship award.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR PORTFOLIO AND ESSAY QUESTIONS BY VISITING SLIDEROOM AND SIGNING UP TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT. THERE IS A $10 SUBMISSION FEE WHICH IS PAID DIRECTLY TO SLIDEROOM.